I've got the site http://220.127.116.11/es/ looking pretty good and have sent a note to Eric for a brief look to get a general assessment of translation quality. I was able to get all the words translated. I will add a few notes on my process here for future translations.
Copying content/en to content/newlanguage to start.
Edit all those files, and
files in data
config/_default/config.yml - add section for newlanguage and put in translations
Add file i18n/newlanguage.yaml and add any missing strings / translations in that file.
add a lunr.(newlanguage).js in assets/js
If you use hugo, it doesn't really work well generating files on a local computer folder system, it works much better if you can put the files at the base of a webserver. I put the files in a subfolder on a web server, but there were a number of problems with absolute file references such as fonts, and search.
I ran hugo and it created a "public" folder, I'd then scp all those files to my webserver at the top-level folder "/var/www/html".
Using Deepl.com for translations worked really well, it would offer alternative translations at a time.
My workflow was -
Edit the file in Notepad++ on windows
select a contiguous area of text to translate
paste into deepl translation
audit translation for any markup language problems
click the copy icon in deepl
select the title frame in Notepad++ and paste
** this is key for efficiency, since that text was already selected, it overrights what you selected.
continue in byte size chunks repeating this process.
After a while, you'll see how big a selection you can make, depending upon the markup in the text
** I ran into some issues where if there was a numbered list, it would repeat some numbers, like 4. 4.
** I also ran into problems where I'd lose an occasional [ or ' in the markup language, but not that often.
** generally, if i copy and pasted text that include a HTML URL, it would only translate the title or alt, which was really great, but once it converted a filename link to an image, that had end that was something_en.png to something_es.png, but that was only once or twice.
** when some of the link targets/footnotes weren't numbers, but text, they would get translated also which I'd have to fix. [description][link footnote] ; But, probably 90% of the link footnotes are numbered and those all translated properly.